Sexual Harrassment / Assault Response and Prevention Hotline (24/7) 334-470-6629

National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233), For Deaf and Hard of Hearing 1-800-787-3224 (TTY) Fort Rucker Hotline 1-334-379-7947

AtHOC Emergency Notifications

Fort Rucker WX Operations and Aviation Products

Local Area Map

Click here to view volunteer opportunities

Ozark Enterprise Daleville Dothan

Federal Voting Assistance Program

Army Flier

U.S. Army Aviation Digest


ICE - Interactive Customer Evaluation

iSalute - Suspicious Activity Reporting

Playoffs: Get Down & Lay Down edges past Eagles

Spc. Donavan Murdock, captain of Get Down & Lay Down, drives past an opposing player. (Photo by Nathan Pfau)

Spc. Donavan Murdock, captain of Get Down & Lay Down, drives past an opposing player. (Photo by Nathan Pfau)

Published: April 3, 2014

FORT RUCKER, Ala. (April 3, 2014 0 -- With only a few games remaining in the 2014 Intramural Basketball season, two top teams went head-to-head to fight for a spot in the finals, but one team was sent packing as another triumphed.

In one of the closest games of the playoffs, Get Down & Lay Down, a team of Soldiers from various units, beat the 1st Battalion, 11th Aviation Regiment, Eagles, 45-44 in a game that showed how a single penalty can turn the tide.

The Eagles held strong from the beginning and managed to hold the lead for most of the game, but Get Down came from behind as the score was neck-and-neck in the final seconds before a penalty against the 1-11th cost them the game.

“Tonight was a good win,” said Spc. Donavan Murdock, coach of Get Down & Lay Down. “We kept our composure and fought back as a team – that’s how you win basketball games. We’re in the championship (game) now, so whoever we play, they’ve got to beat us twice, so we’re in a good position.”

The game started as the Eagles took possession at the tip off and wasted no time scoring the first goal with a 3-point shot.

Get Down followed suit with a lay up to keep on their opponent’s heels, but it wasn’t enough to slow the Eagles’ early offense.

The 1-11th recovered possession multiple times after their opponents failed to make shots, which gave them the opportunity to pull ahead early in the game, giving them an advantage.

The Eagles’ defense remained strong throughout most of the first quarter and managed to hold back Get Down’s advances to hold on to the lead.

Coupled with their disciplined shooting, sinking multiple three pointers, the 1-11th had a 10-point lead with minutes still remaining in the first quarter.

Get Down’s defense finally stepped up, and they were able to get back in the game and not fall too much farther behind. By the beginning of the second quarter, they had turned their offense around and slowly started to gain on their opponents, trailing 16-10.

As both teams warmed up, the game seemed evenly match as neither team was able to make much headway on the other as defense tightened up on both sides.

Get Down broke the stagnation, however, with a lay up to continue to close the gap between them and their opponents.

Multiple fouls against the Eagles made it harder for Get Down to catch up, but despite their opponent’s free throws, they managed to keep on the heels of the 1-11th.

Get Down’s determination paid off as the half ended, trailing 24-20.

The Eagles needed to work hard to maintain their lead as their opponents found their stride, and managed to start the half strong with a lay up after a rebound.

It wasn’t enough to stem Get Down’s advances, however, as they broke through the 1-11th’s defense to trail by only 2 points only five minutes into the half.

Within seconds, Get Down had the game tied and pressure was building up for their opponents.

The Eagles managed to retake the lead with a 3-point shot, but only briefly as Get Down matched them at every turn.

It was now anybody’s game as the teams went point-for-point, but a penalty against Get Down gave them free throws that allowed them to take the lead for the first time in the game as the third quarter ended, 34-33.

Get Down began to pull ahead of their opponent’s, extending their lead by 7 points, but the Eagles wouldn’t be outdone as the team rallied to close the gap.

The 1-11th made good progression against their opponents and managed to come within a 3 pointer away from the lead, but another personal foul against them kept them from that goal.

Despite the extra free throws by Get Down, the Eagles were able get within one point of their opponents as the final minute of the game wound down.

The Eagles managed to retake the lead, briefly, but not before another personal foul allowed Get Down to sink two free throws and surpass them once again.

With seconds on the clock, down by one point, the Eagles had possession and one chance to retake the lead and win the game, but another personal foul against them with only three seconds left sealed their fate, and the game ended, 45-44.

This article was originally published at

This is an official U.S. Army web site.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Army of this Website or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and MWR sites, the U.S. Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this Website.