Garrison Safety Office
Our mission is to take care of Soldiers, Family Members, and Civilians and set the conditions for Mission success. We do that by developing and implementing plans, policies and procedures for a comprehensive garrison safety program. GSO provides technical advice to the garrison commander and staff on the integration of safety and risk management into all missions and functions within the command.
GSO provides the following support to the Fort Rucker community:
- Serves as the command point of contact for the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Provides safety support to childcare and youth services programs.
- Inspects fixed infrastructure to include DFMWR/recreation facilities and activities.
- Implements transportation safety program to include motorcycle safety training.
- Implements accident prevention awards and promotion program.
- Analyzes accident data to identify trends and recommends countermeasures.
- Provides commanders, supervisors, and safety officers with risk management training, training tools and other related assistance.
- Establishes installation abatement plans and the installation hazard reporting program.
- Reviews and offers assistance in the development of safety SOPs and risk assessments.
- Implements the installation radiation safety program, to include procurement, licensing, receipt, inventory, maintenance, disposal, inspections, etc.
- Implements safety in range control operations.
- Reviews MILCON, other construction, maintenance and repair projects, and installation service/procurement contracts.
- Prepares, staffs, reviews, and submits waivers and exemptions to garrison workplace, explosives, and range safety standards.
- Reviews and approves explosives storage licenses and monitors compliance.
- Prepares, staffs, reviews, and submits explosive site plans. Monitors compliance and tracks renewals.
- Monitors the installation respiratory protection program.
- Coordinates with the local medical activity for occupational health services provided to the garrison and tenant units.
- In addition to the above, monitors the following programs: personnel protective clothing and equipment, hearing conservation, and confined space entry.
Garrison Safety Office
This is an official U.S. Army web site.
The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Army of this Website or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and MWR sites, the U.S. Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this Website.