Garrison Safety Office
Our mission is to take care of Soldiers, Family Members, and Civilians and set the conditions for Mission success. We do that by developing and implementing plans, policies and procedures for a comprehensive garrison safety program. GSO provides technical advice to the garrison commander and staff on integration of safety and risk management into all missions and function within the command.
GSO provides the following support to the Fort Rucker community:
- Provides safety support to childcare and youth services programs.
- Inspects fixed infrastructure to include MWR/recreation facilities and activities.
- Implements transportation safety program to include POV and motorcycle safety and training.
- Assists law enforcement with traffic accident prevention initiatives.
- Reports and investigates accidents.
- Analyzes accident data to identify trends and recommends countermeasures.
- Provides collateral duty safety orientations (trains additional duty safety officer personnel).
- Provides commanders and safety officers with risk management training, tools and other related assistance.
- Coordinates and implements the Safety and Occupational Health Advisory Counsel.
- Monitors the Federal Employees Compensation Act Committee and reviews and analyzes accidents.
- Implements the Radiation Safety Program, to include procurement, licensing, receipt, inventory, maintenance, disposal, inspections, etc.
- Implements accident prevention awards and promotion program.
- Implements family/off-duty accident prevention program.
- Implements safety in range control operations.
- Prepares, reviews, and approves explosives storage licenses and monitors compliance.
- Supports force projection planning and provides base operations safety support for military contingency and emergency operations.
- Reviews MILCON, other construction, maintenance and repair projects, and installation service/procurement contracts.
- Prepares, staffs, reviews, and submits waivers and exemptions to garrison workplace, explosives, and range safety standards.
- Monitors compliance and tracks renewals.
- Prepares, staffs, reviews, and submits explosive site plans and unexploded ordnance/chemical agent/biological material remediation safety submissions. Monitors compliance and tracks renewals.
- Provides necessary input for MOA/MOU support agreements.
- Monitors the Installation Respiratory Protection Program.
- Establishes installation abatement plans and the Installation Hazard Reporting Program.
- Ensures appropriate preventive medicine services are provided to employees occupationally exposed to chemical, physical, biological, and ergonomic hazards.
- Coordinates with the local medical activity for occupational health services provided to the garrison and tenant units.
- Determines the need for medical examinations/surveillance for personnel exposed to health hazards at the workplace.
- In addition to the above, monitors the following programs: Personnel Protective Clothing and Equipment, Hearing Conservation, and Confined Space Entry.
Garrison Safety Office
Building 101, Rm. 202
- Phone: (334) 255-1027
- Fax: (334) 255-9317
This is an official U.S. Army web site.
The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Army of this Website or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and MWR sites, the U.S. Army does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this Website.